I hate fake strawberry frosting… honestly, it makes me sick to my stomach. So when I came across this little trick, I almost peed my pants in excitement. Seriously guys, this is SOOO simple and it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Go ahead and make it tonight… you can thank me later.
Here is what you need:
- 2 cups frozen whole strawberries
- Basic cream cheese frosting (I am a brand snob so I swear by Philadelphia.. but do whatever you want here)
1) Place frozen strawberries in a microwave safe bowl, cover, and zap in the microwave for about 5 minutes… or until the berries are soft and juices are released.
2) Then grab your most trusted fine-mesh sieve, and put it over a decent sized saucepan. Press the strawberries thru, until you release as much juice as physically possible (try and get like 3/4 cup). Set the reserved strawberry solids aside.
3) Now comes the fun part when you will really get your home smelling like a jam kitchen…. Bring juice to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally for about 7 minutes, until the juice is syrupy and reduced by almost a third!
4) Let the mixture cool while you make your favorite basic cream cheese frosting.
5) With your mixer on low, add the reserved strawberry solids and reduced juice mixture until you get your desired consistency and taste. I love extra strawberry tang, so I almost always use all the juice, extra vanilla, a slight touch of fresh lemon juice (if too sweet), and salt. Remember salt is your hidden best friend when baking!
The result will impress even Marthahhhhhh (Stewart)