I refuse to buy pre-made granola from the store, it is such a rip-off! $9 for a teeny, tiny bag? I don’t think so… I’d rather just make it myself. And luckily for you, I’ve got the perfect recipe. Even picky eaters like this one.
You can customize it to your liking, the only things you can’t mess around with are the oats, egg white, oil, sugar, and salt. The backbone… the tried and true.. just leave it alone. But everything else? OH BABY, you can do whatever you want, it’s your granola (I recently fell in love with Bob Ross in case you missed my last post).
So here we go.
- 1 large beaten egg white
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup olive oil or warmed coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups chopped nuts (such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, and pistachios)
- 1½ cups coconut shavings (Bob’s Red Mill makes a great one)
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup (I like a 50/50 mix of maple syrup and honey)
- ¼ cup Chia or sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cranberries, cherries, or apricots
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Combine all the ingredients except dried fruit in a large bowl. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake granola, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and dry, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a baking sheet. (It will crisp as it cools).
- Mix in dried fruit.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature…. but who knows how long it will last. This one goes quick! Yummy.