I used to beg my mom to make this recipe. Seriously this is one of the most comforting dishes out there. Fresh broccoli, aromatic white cream sauce, and chewy chunks of peppercorn spiced chicken. Yum. Plus, she would serve this over egg noodles. Okay, I need help.
Making the cream sauce is pretty cool. First you need to make a basic roux, or half butter and half flour mixture flavored (in this case) with shallots. Then you turn your toasted roux into a béchamel with the addition of milk, cream, sherry, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and of course, S&P.
Here is the recipe.
- Add minced shallots as the aromatics in the roux
- Add extra sherry, Parmesan cheese, and don’t forget that pinch of nutmeg in the béchamel…. it makes a HUGE difference!
- I like a mixture of 80% milk to 20% cream. You can play around with this.
- Boil the chicken with salt, whole black peppercorns, and bay leaves.
- After you mix the sauce with the cooked chicken and broccoli, try it and see what it needs. You almost always need more salt and black pepper.
This is divine. Can you say improved copycat of Campbell’s soup??? #creamsauce #heaven
Stop being a diva and make ‘diva-n’ TONIGHT!