I LOVE vintage recipes. Especially when they are easy & delicious
Case in point…this fabulous Lime Chiffon Pie
I used Nilla wafers as my crust…and gelatin sheets (my new obsession)
Make sure & get your egg whites nice and MARSHMALLOWY (best word ever?)
mise en place really helps here
oh my lawdddd
fluffy & light
Lime Chiffon Pie — from The Gasparilla Cookbook (favorite Florida west coast recipes)
- 1 envelope plain gelatin (or 3.5 sheets)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked (I used crushed Nilla wafers & BUTTAH)
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, lime juice, zest, and salt in top of double broiler.
- Beat eggs yolk and fold into lime juice mixture.
- Cook over hot water until slightly thickened ~5 mins. Add gelatin.
- Beat egg white until stiff. Gradually beat in remaining corn syrup until mixture is “marshmallowy”.
- Fold egg white into gelatin mixture. Pile mixture lightly into baked pie shell & chill.
Now you chill too